Tuesday 4 December 2012

Shutting Down


Shutting down! Were the words that flashed across my now dying computer screen, the computer-generated voice that usually warned me didn’t have the chance to as the computer powered off before the 20 seconds timer elapsed.
The train of sweat going down my spine was another cause for worry; PHCN had done their deed for the evening. In the sickening heat of Abuja one would think they’d be generous with power.
The excitement from the meeting I had attended that evening quickly faded in the heat; all the creative juices that flowed then could not cool my now heating head, I could not write not even to scribble down a line of the many thoughts we had shared.
The bottle of almost iced water had melted to a lukewarm nightmare the urge to spew it out was strong but I needed some liquid for my dry throat; even though it is said that cold water doesn't quench thirst, I craved what we call a sweating bottle (bottle of ice cold water or drink) just the satisfaction of holding it would suffice. 
 The continued hissing and the screaming baby from next door attest to the fact that I wasn't alone. 
like clock work, I snapped shut the laptop unplugged it and laid beneath the window looking for possible airy spots in the room, the card I had turned to a fan had gotten soft and wasn't blowing air, the door was ajar but nothing seemed to help, I discarded the paper and fidgeted with the pillow trying to get the most comfortable position I heard the AC roar to life... pheww what a relief. NEPA!!! the loud voices from the neighborhood almost overpowered my noisy AC. 
The urge to write had disappeared, now I was having a writers block...next I knew, it was wee hours of the morning, I had slept it through, so all the writing I finally did was a dream mchewww!!!

1 comment:

  1. Up NEPA!! Nice write up I could picture everything you said.

    ReplyDelete