Tuesday 15 January 2013

''RIT has a cold''

Well the title might be familiar to some; I'm no Frank Sinatra, I may not be holding a bourbon or cigarette in hand at a fancy club in Beverly Hills; but I find myself in a similar situation 'having a cold'..
I remember reading Gay Talese's piece ''Frank Sinatra has a cold'' and saying to myself...one day someone will write about me..(not just having a cold)

Well, I'm writing and I have a cold that has lasted more than 7 days; the period for common cold is usually between seven to ten days..imagine my constant sniffing and coughing..even I am tired of it.  I haven't stopped carrying a big roll of tissue and Aboniki (soothing balm which I advise you rob to a handkerchief and sniff; don't apply to your skin..believe me I learnt the hard way) ..maybe i'm even the new nuisance.

 I have carried the stench of ginger and garlic after doing a marathon home remedy, I have lost a day at work from being drowsy on cough medicine and my tongue is sore from sucking on sweets and lozenges that promise fast relief. one of the days I even lost my voice for several hours; the mimicking and laughing just made me feel worse than I already did; and then someone thought I was pretending...(like I wanted to have a cold)
Like Sinatra, the common cold became so uncommon with me but I didn't get plunged into depression.

So I have a cold which is almost gone; looking back I saw all the symptoms and didn't address it in time; like other things in life. We see things that are a remedy for disaster and we ignore them only to be hunted when it blows..

I'm hoping my story's happy ending comes sooner than later...

No comments:

Post a Comment