Monday 29 August 2011

the big red 'L'

Who ever said the cars in driving schools should be beat up? (at least the ones I see around Abuja and other Nigerian cities are) Maybe it's a criteria for running a driving school?? I don't know, I'm just looking to get some clarity here.
The first question on my mind this morning as I walked past one such vehicle is, who gives these schools license or permit to operate? do they carry out an inspection of their facilities?? do they even test the operators of these schools to know their ability?? probably not..it's like any pavement or pedestrian walk that has some trees around it becomes the driving school, so you walk by a couple of ''beat up'' cars parked together, each with a 15 inch plate and a big 'L' painted in red; and that's supposed to be inviting?? whatever happened to good advertising not forgetting safety..I'm sorry but I'm not easily convinced.
I've seen students made to push the car or even wait for the tutor while he attended to personal issues.....

I learnt how to drive not from the driving schools but my teacher was pretty good...I was lucky to learn from someone who knew exactly what he was doing and who knew what road signs meant and what the high way code looked like.(lol)
My point is, the first two days it was hard enough concentrating even though it was just us two in the car, so this gets me  wondering how the students in these driving schools do it I mean how they are able to learn anything with three other people watching and criticizing their every move..and how much can three people learn in a few hours, or is it part of the plan to get people to do less daily so they stay on and pay more?? (am I making any sense?) anyway like someone just corrected me if the students aren't willing to be clustered they probably won't be.
How come the road safety officers or VIO never stop such cars, am I the only one that sees something wrong with it?? (ok maybe) these guys are supposed to be responsible for the safety of road users and check the road worthiness of vehicles but NO, they don't see them, isn't the road safety supposed to approve operations of driving schools? I know the road safety and VIO issue drivers license.
Call me naive but non of these questions have been answered and I fear they won't be in the near future.

can you see the 'L' ???
I'm just an advocate for proper driving lessons, the more drivers we have that get adequate training the lesser the accident rate..In Abuja there is an average of about 4 to 7 accidents daily. The fact that you own a car doesn't make you fit to drive it..do you know the rules?? do you know the rules??

Recently I asked a driver what the white markings in the middle of the road meant and to my astonishment he was indifferent giving me some explanation that made no sense at all, this is coupled to his stunt-like, action movie-like driving that almost got us run over twice; then I began to panic...i could feel the cold sweat run down my spine, need I say more? I almost flew out of the car as soon as I go to my destination...phew what a relief.

The morale behind this piece is not to spite the road side driving schools but to get our authorities thinking, who said organizing and equipping them would be a bad thing? maybe then the patronage would improve......just be sure you're getting your monies worth and your conscience satisfied as you board that beat-up crowded car in the name of learning to drive............................rbg

No comments:

Post a Comment