Tuesday 21 February 2017

It's NOT ok.


As "Wanda's Tale" ( http://ritztruebeauty.blogspot.com.ng/2017/01/wandas-tale-by-ritkatmwa-gwan.html) wraps up next week, (yes, we are in episode 10 already) while I gather thoughts for the next series I thought to share some of my findings while on the journey.

When I started writing "Wanda's Tale" in 2013 one of my main worries was what became of survivors of domestic violence.

see: 
Women are often stigmatised for leaving an abusive spouse, they say "women should stay because marriage isn't easy". I also asked what happens when the woman is maimed or eventually dies; she now becomes the fool who didn't know when to call it quits.


I often worried more tales like Wanda's will make the news or even be swept under the carpet and over taken by more juicy political squabbles.


Imagine my excitement when I recently stumbled on "The Haki project" by WRAPA which is operationalizing the provisions of the two adopted model laws (VAPP & GEO Bills). This projects provide capacity building for Police and Magistrate Court Judges on Violence against Women. 
see: see: 


Many will agree with me that most victims embrace the culture of silence because law enforcement seem to also judge them and often dismiss these issues as personal that need to be settled without their help.
see: WRAPA Nigeria @WRAPANG 







 You can read more about their work here; http://wrapanigeria.org/haki-mkononi-project-holds-workshop-strengthen-knowledge-police-magistrate-judges-violence-women-vaw/.



see: WARIF NG @WARIF_NG
Another group that caught my attention was WARIF Nigeria (), they took it a step further by creating a help line that victims or people that see anyone suffering can call. 
What I learned while researching to write "Wanda's Tale" is that, we are daily surrounded by people suffering in silence and we ought not encourage the culture of silence by keeping quiet. SPEAK UP or at least call the help lines 😀😀


 You could be saving a life, help break the cycle and culture of silence.
Domestic violence is not normal and should not be condoned, tolerated or encouraged...

I join these organisations and many others our there championing the fight against domestic violence to say NO to domestic violence.

















No comments:

Post a Comment