Saturday 20 August 2011

oh the joy of rest!!

When the first moments of excitment passes and the euphoria begins to die that's when true rest unfolds.
It's just like the start of a weekend; you start off with excitement but  as you begin the chores; lundry, erands to the market, house cleaning,cooking, washing the car and fixing that ruffled closet that momentary peace begins to elude you and you almost loose the joy of seeing the end of another working week...you actually begin to worry about the new week ahead.(sound familiar??)

What we mostly describe as rest is only a momentary display or experience of tranquility...
There is a rest that is prepared and we can only enter it if we choose to.
Who prepared it you might say? The one who holds the earth in the palm of His hands, whose footstool is the earth...The one who discribed Himself as "I AM" He is all you want and need Him to be.

Rest is not the absence of war as I have come to realize, but the peace one enjoys in the midst of it all. It is only the prepared rest that offers such peace. When Jesus was leaving the earth He left us His peace... "not as the world gives"... that tells me the world offers a form of peace; "He prepares a table before me in the presence of my enemies" ...that is a position of rest unlimited even in circumstances that seem other wise.

Saturdays are rest days for me and as I punder on the nap I need to be having right now and the chores left unattended, I can only recall and meditate on a rest that is not superficial, a rest that doesn't leave me wondering or anxious for what I have to do; but that rest that assures me everything is ok even in the tangled situation....
I have entered into the prepared rest...have you?...................................rbg

No comments:

Post a Comment